Sunday, June 21, 2009

Stadium #4 Petco Park

Stadium #4 Petco Park
June 20, 2009
Oakland A's v. San Diego Padres




Alright! We are ready for our third game in 3 days! We are on our way to Downtown San Diego to see the A's and the Padres!


Here is our traditional picture of us in the home team hat!

GO PADRES!!!

Just like in Anaheim there are banners on the light posts around the stadium. This is the Padres 40th year, so most of their stuff has that on it. 1969-2009!


This is the back side of Petco Park.


As we walked around the stadium from the front to the back, I noticed all the garbage cans had the Padres logo on them. So, of course I took a picture! :)


I was very excited when we finally got to the front of the stadium. It's hard to explain, yes I love baseball, but there is just something about being in a stadium/ballpark that I have never been to before and seeing how they celebrate the sport.


Julia and I outside Petco Park.





Inside the park, there was a lot of the Padres history up on the walls. They also had 2 show cases with information.



Views from walking around inside the park. It is a different atmosphere than AT&T Park.


Views of the field at Petco Park.




Being so close to Mexico, there were signs in English and Spanish!


I am enjoying going to all the parks so far. I enjoy being able to cheer for the home team. I feel out of place sometimes when I don't have the home team shirt on. I was very happy to learn that we went to the Padres game on "Giveaway Saturdays." Every Saturday you get something at the game. Lucky me, we came on hat night!
Here is the hat we got when we entered Petco Park.

Now I can cheer for the home team and support them but wearing their colors and logo! Julia and I are modeling out new hats!


Since we arrived at the park early we found a bar to grab a beer out. We wandered outside (so I could take a picture..ha!) and the guy at the door said we could stay until the 3rd inning. We were kind of confused, but it turns out there is seating with table and chairs outside along the third base line and people can come watch the game from here. It had nice views, but where our table was we were not able to see much of the game, so we left after the 1st inning. Here are some views from this area.
Infield

Outfield

The stands along 1st base

View of the patio


Since we couldn't see from the patio, we decided to go to our seats. On the way we ran into Chris Young. So of course I took another picture!


Views from our seats. They're great because you can see Downtown San Diego in the background.


The night view


The scoreboard


Petco Park has a cool aspect to it. You can buy a ticket that gets you into the park, but not a seat. There are designated standing areas or there is the grass area (kind of like a park) where you can spread out some blankets and watch the game.


Down closer to the field is a sand area where kids can play. Although I did not go down in this area, there are many view obstructions. But I still think it would be a fun place to watch the game!


This is an overall view of the grass/sand area.


Top of the Padres dugout.


If you recall from my previous post, I said how we went through the Padres store and outside to the field. Here is where that is. It is the little fence area just to the left of the Toyota sign. It's not much, but it is a spot to see some of the game!


Sometimes we can not question team mascots. The Padres is a friar.


They also have a Frankenfriar that comes out to cheer the team on!


Julia and I cheering for the Padres! We were in rally mode!


So was the friar!

Padres were down, but not out! It's RALLY TIME!

Rally caps!


7th inning stretch! We sang the "baseball" song. They also had the words up, just in case you didn't know them. Although when it came to "Padres" it was hard to hear over the "Oakland" shouts! :) Surprisingly, there are a lot of A's fans in SD>


The Padres fought hard and almost came back, but unfortunately they lost.
The final score was
Oakland A's - 6
San Diego Padres - 3

So far in the previous 3 games on the road trip, the home team had won and they won by one run...until tonight :(

After the game. Me, Julia, and Kevin


Cleaning up the field after the game




Yet another great night of baseball!! :) We get two days off now though. I think we (and our bank accounts!) need it.

1 comment:

  1. I like that stadium! It's right in the middle of downtown SD.

    ReplyDelete